Tuesday 28 February 2012

Warm rain causes wake up call.




Warm rain set in today which usually kick starts the growing season off and I realised I
must get on with my seed sowing ready to plant out in late March and early April for the
hardy ones but the half hardy will have to jostle for room in my little greenhouse. This
greenhouse is fine for 9 months of the year but when the seeds are pricked out it's under
a lot of pressure which is when all the window sills are cleared of ornaments, etc ready
for the overspill. Trouble is that our two cats always want to help firm the soil down by
walking all over them as soon as my back is turned. Grr!

My plot is now rough dug and will be raked over to form a seed bed for slow germinating
seeds such as carrot and parsnip, the latter seems to take for ever to germinate and
along with parsley are the slowest to show.
I expect I am not alone in finding that when I have spare time to get to my allotment, the
weather takes a turn for the worse but when it's fine, I have other commitments, why is
that?
Busy meeting last night at which the properties manageress, the head ranger and a
member of Lanhydrock's countryside team came to talk to us about the changes ahead for the estate.
Good that they involve us and inform, makes us feel even more part of the Lanhydrock
scene. Back to the seed trays tomorrrow, hope it's fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment