Monday 20 August 2012

A Touch of Sunshine

Sunshine! That rare commodity this summer.   Isn’t it amazing how a little sunshine lifts your mood?   Been trying to sow my brassicas but beaten each time by a) slugs nipping off the seedlings as they emerge b) pigeons stripping the tender leaves before I get chance to fleece them (okay that is my fault not the pigeons) c) just the lack of warmth/light.  But ever hopeful sowed another batch and placed them in the safety of our cold greenhouse and.....well we’ll see what happens.     However the under-gardener bought some plant plugs from a seed company, I have a suspicion he doubts my ability to grow brassicas, my grandson visited recently and to him fell the honour of planting them out and checking them today they seem to be holding their own against all comers.
Shame about the sweet peas though, with all the bad weather recently they certainly have taken a battering but they have put on a fantastic show growing up and over my arch.  I had visions of rows  of sweet peas just like those in the Sutton Seeds trial beds – rows half the length of a football no a rugby pitch (well  this is Cornwall the home of rugby) . 

Climbing French Bean - District Nurse
best drying bean ever!

Mine were neatly entwined with the beans
District Nurse            and              Ryders Blue Coco,
Climbing French Bean - Blue Coco
good dried or fresh

Think next year I’ll just put beans on the arch and plant the sweet peas somewhere else. 

Looking at my lavender today filled me with shame!   They are in desperate need of a prune but have lost my shears........I am sure there is a gremlin on our plots cause everytime I put something down it seems to disappear.   I realise that my dotage is fast catching me up; the under-gardener is nodding his head frantically here, but I am sure it’s not just that at least I hope not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment